Snow Day is a 2000 American comedy film by Paramount Pictures and Nickelodeon Movies. It was released on February 11, 2000 and was met with generally negative reviews from film critics, but was a modest box office success. It was released on home video on October 3, 2000.
The film focuses on a group of elementary students in Syracuse, New York, led by Natalie Brandston (Zena Grey), who get a snow day, and try to keep their school snowed-in and closed by stopping a snow plow driver known as "Snowplow man" (Chris Elliott) from plowing the streets. Meanwhile, her older brother Hal (Mark Webber) tries to win the heart of high school sweetheart Claire Bonner (Emmanuelle Chriqui), with the help of his best friend, Lane Leonard (Schuyler Fisk). Also, their dad Tom Brandston (Chevy Chase) is a TV meteorologist who must face off against a rival meteorologist, Chad Symmonz (John Schneider), in order to have the right of continuing his weather career. Laura (Jean Smart), the workaholic mother, is stuck at home with Randy, her mischievous son. Eventually, Natalie and her friends (Josh Peck, Jade Yorker) take over the plow and "unplow" the streets (move all the snow back in the way). After endless love demonstrations, (and being rescued by Natalie) Hal finds out he, in fact, loves Lane. Tom unmasks Chad on live TV, showing the viewers he is fake, winning his status back. And Laura takes the day off from work to look after Randy.
- Chris Elliott - Roger Stubblefield (aka Snowplowman)
- Mark Webber - Hal Brandston
- Jean Smart - Laura Brandston
- Schuyler Fisk - Lane Leonard
- Iggy Pop - Mr. Zellweger
- Pam Grier - Tina
- John Schneider - Chad Symmonz
- Chevy Chase - Tom Brandston
- Zena Grey - Natalie "Nats" Brandston
- Josh Peck - Wayne Alworth
- Jade Yorker - Chet Felker
- Damian Young - Principal Weaver
- Connor Matheus - Randall Todd "Randy" Brandston
- J. Adam Brown - Bill Korn
- Emmanuelle Chriqui - Claire Bonner
- David Paetkau - Chuck Wheeler
- Kea Wong - Paula
- Carly Pope - Fawn
- Tim Paleniuk - Mailman
- Rozonda "Chili" Thomas - Mona
- Katharine Isabelle - Marla
This is the first of two films to star both Josh Peck and Zena Grey, the other being Max Keeble's Big Move, released the following year.
It was filmed in Cedarburg, Wisconsin, as well as Edmonton and Calgary, Alberta. It was originally planned to be a movie based on the television series The Adventures of Pete & Pete, but this idea was aborted and the film was rewritten as a stand-alone story.